Blissful Mornings Begin With Bircher
What exactly is Bircher Muesli?
Bircher Muesli is a scrumptious (and extremely easy) breakfast recipe. Essentially you mix together a few simple ingredients and soak them overnight to create a soft, nutritious breakfast. Traditionally it’s rolled oats, dried fruit & nuts and grated apple with fruit juice or yoghurt.
Where did Bircher Muesli originate?
Bircher Muesli was developed in the 1900’s by Swiss physician and pioneer of nutrition and the whole foods diet, Maximilian Oskar Bircher-Benner. Dr Bircher-Benner introduced a small bowl of rolled oats and raw apple to his patients prior to their main meals and saw overwhelming improvements in the health of many as a result. His traditional recipe included apple, rolled oats, lemon, cream or honey and nuts. Bircher Muesli remains a breakfast favourite today and has evolved over the years into many delicious recipes.
Why is Bircher so good for me?
Bircher Muesli really ‘packs a punch’ when it comes to all the nutrition it provides in each and every serve;
- Slow-digesting oats which are low GI. With the addition of yoghurt or milk, it slows digestion even further, keeping you fuller for longer
- Vitamin C from the addition of seasonal fruits
- Dietary fibre from the oats and the addition of nuts and fruit (especially if skins are left on the fruit)
- Calcium from the addition of milk or yoghurt
- Protein from both dairy sources and non-dairy sources, including oats, nuts and seeds
- Healthy fats from the nuts and seeds, either in the muesli or sprinkled on top
- B vitamins from the oats and the addition of milk or yoghurt
- A soluble fibre, beta-glucan, from the oats, which can help lower cholesterol levels
Five benefits of trying Bircher
- It’s so easy to prepare: simply choose one of our mueslis which will provide the perfect blend of oats, nuts, seeds, fruit, honey and cinnamon. All that is left for you to do is grate an apple and soak the muesli and you’ll have a beautiful Bircher
- It’s portable! Simply grab a container of your pre-prepared Bircher when you’re on the run
- It’s convenient: A quick and easy breakfast or snack to take wherever you go
- It’s nutritious: Packed with a range of health and nutrition benefits
- It’s delicious: And you can tailor it to your individual taste preferences
So if you’re going to rise, you might as well shine! Make your mornings ‘sparkle’ with one of our blissful Bircher creations.
Top tip – Why not pre-prepare a batch of Carman’s Bircher Muesli for your coming week’s breakfasts? Simply store in individual sealed containers in your fridge – and take one to work with you every day. It will last as long as the best before date on your yoghurt.
Mix up your Bircher base
There are many Carman’s mueslis to create with: untoasted, toasted, gluten free, vegan friendly, no added sugar, fruit free or with lots of fruit! Which one’s your flavour-ite?
Why not try one of our other delicious muesli flavours for your Bircher?
- Original Fruit Free Muesli for those not wanting dried fruit
- Super Berry Muesli, for a berry bang with some fresh berries added on top
- Classic Fruit & Nut Muesli, as you can’t go past the classic style for that extra crunch
- Deluxe Gluten Free Muesli, for those needing a gluten free option. When choosing this option, mix yoghurt through on the same day
Add some more YUM-SPIRATION to your Bircher
For that extra taste and yum-factor try adding the following to your Bircher before serving:
- Grated apple or carrot
- Delicious summer fruits: nectarines, blueberries, sliced banana, orange segments, fresh raspberries, diced mango, peaches, passionfruit, strawberries, papaya, apricots, pineapple, grapes, melon, cherries, blackberries, plums, lychees, paw paw
- Nuts, nuts and more nuts: roasted hazelnuts, flaked almonds, pecans, walnuts, pine nuts
- Yummy extras: toasted or shredded coconut, cacao powder, vanilla
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg or chai
- Super Seeds: flax seeds, sunflower seeds or chia seeds
How else can you use Carman’s Muesli?
- As a base for a muesli slice
- As a healthy crumble topping for fruit crumbles
- As a crunchy topping on an acai breakfast bowl
- As a snack for between meals or after dinner
- Added into smoothies for a more filling and nutritious drink
- Sprinkled on top of yoghurt for a tasty snack
- Layered amongst fruit and yoghurt in a glass for a healthy dessert parfait